Monday, April 18, 2005

Dive Log, April 6th, 2005

Once again today, it was all about the surface interval. We got a tip
that there were pilot whales off shore so we went to check them out.
When we got there, they were spy hopping checking out the two other
dive boats that were already there. I slipped into the water quickly
because I've only witnessed this behavior in the past from the boat. It
was an awesome sight to see through my mask. They were vertical,
bobbing up and down peeking out of the water.

We spotted another group 100 yards away so we decided to check them out
too. All of us slipped quietly into the water and just floated next to
the boat because they were coming right at us. They dove slightly and
passed just under us turning their bodies slightly to get a better look
at us. There were maybe 8 or 9 in all, including a big cow and her big
calf. My guess is that the juvenile was maybe a year or two old, but
still hanging with mom. Or was it an aunt? Because suddenly I looked
over just in time to see it briefly stick its penile unit in the cow!
What? I couldn't believe my eyes! However, that is definitely what I
saw. Could it have been sex education, pilot whale style?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home