Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 10, 2011

First we dove Kaiwi Point where my group saw a little baby Spotted Eagle Ray and Mike's group saw a large adult Spotted Eagle Ray! We also saw a White Tip Reef Shark, A variety of Moray Eels and an Octopus. The highlights of the day actually happened on the next dive at Kaloko Canyons.
We not only saw a male Whitley's Box Fish in 35 FEET OF WATER!! (they are usually much deeper) We got to see (for my first time EVER!) A SPINY COWFISH!!!! An extremely rare fish that I wasn't sure I would ever see in Hawaii. It's also known as the "big" cowfish because it gets up to 10 inches when fully grown. This one was fully grown and blended in very well with the rocky substrate. When Mike first pointed it out to me I thought it was a Striped Belly Puffer Fish, because it was about the same size. However as my eyes focused on it I could clearly see its boxy shape and the thorns protruding from its eyebrow area, mid-back and also below its tail. So AMAZING!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home