Monday, June 06, 2011

May 17, 2011

I saw my first Kona Crab today! We dropped in at the Green Can in 130ft. Descended into thousands of Garden Eel at the bottom, where I was focused on a sizable something on the sand, scurrying about. At first I thought it was a large Jewelled Anemone Crab, but upon further inspection, I realized it was not. I hovered above it, watch it move along at a pretty good pace... finally I focused on it close enough to identify it as a Kona Crab. They're big! Like the size of a 7-11 crab... maybe even bigger. They have super long eye stalks, so as they bury themselves in the sand, which this one eventually did. They can still poke their beady little eyes out at the end of their long stalks and look around... you would never notice them. We also saw Spotted Eagle Rays and lots of fish and moray eels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home